Clinical Laboratory Scientist
Schedule: 20 hours/Week Night schedule 11PM-730AM : Week 1: Off; Week 2: Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat *This job rotates every other week.
Under the general direction of the Laboratory Director, or their designee, performs pre-analytical, analytical and post-analytical procedures and analyses to provide data for health maintenance, diagnoses, treatment and monitoring of medical conditions. Enhances quality of patient care and service through interdepartmental cooperation and quality assurance protocols.
* Correctly verifies that the proper specimen is being analyzed for the correct patients and that the correct test is being performed. Judges the adequacy and qualities of specimens submitted for testing.
* Analyzes clinical laboratory specimens following the standard methods and procedures approved by the Laboratory Director or designee. Performs quality control procedures to ensure accuracy of clinical data.
* Utilizes test reference ranges (including neonates, pediatric and adult) to determine reasonableness of test results. Validates test results through correlation with test parameters (e.g. Hgb/Hct, anion gap, platelet count/smear, dipstick/micro etc.). Confirms testing on all Critical Values to ensure accuracy prior to releasing of test results.
* Performs routine preventative maintenance and troubleshooting on assigned instruments and equipment according to established schedule and procedure. Performs and documents instrument function by checking and calibrating specific lab instruments and documents data.
* Records on instrument logs any repairs, replacement, and maintenance needed of equipment. Releases or reports results per Laboratory Standard Operating Procedures. Trains laboratory assistants on proper techniques/procedures related to clinical laboratory practice. Performs other related duties as necessary.
* Supervisory Responsibilities: Provides general or direct supervision of Lab Assistants and general Clerical Personnel as required according to lab law and regulations. Corporate Compliance Accountability: Consistently supports the precepts of Corporate Compliance and Principles of Responsibility by maintaining confidentiality, protecting the assets of the organization, acting with integrity, reporting observed fraud and abuse and complying with applicable state, federal and local laws and program policies and procedures.
* Six months related experience required.
* Bachelor's Degree * Applicable military experience may be substituted for bachelor's degree.
* Baccalaureate degree in Clinical Lab Sciences or related field.
License, Certification, Registration:
* Current California State Clinical Laboratory Scientist License to include the limited CLS license.
* Experience including Hematology, Urinalysis, Chemistry, Blood Bank and Bacteriology experience preferred. Computer application experience/proficiency preferred.