Nursing Department Manager – Operating Room
As the Nursing Department Manager for the Operating Room, your role is pivotal in ensuring the seamless delivery of surgical care. You'll work closely with the Anesthesia and Surgical Services (SAS) management team to develop and implement departmental goals and objectives. Your responsibilities include assessing, planning, implementing, and evaluating patient care during all phases of surgery to meet established standards. You'll also provide leadership, guidance, and support to your team, fostering a culture of quality improvement and ensuring both patient satisfaction and employee well-being.
This position involves supervising daily operational activities within the Operating Rooms, which includes a 16 OR suite plus one procedure room. You'll manage approximately 80 direct reports, overseeing an average of 350-400 cases per month, spanning various surgical procedures, including hearts, spines, and neuro cases. Notably, there are no Assistant Managers in the Operating Room. Your role reports directly to the Director of Perioperative Services.
- Act as a coach and resource for staff, promoting teamwork and total quality principles while being accountable for outcomes.
- Encourage employee development, cross-training, and efficient resource utilization.
- Monitor department performance, ensuring resources and training are readily available for optimal performance.
- Manage the budget, monitor expenditures, and ensure compliance with budgetary guidelines.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to establish policies, procedures, and performance measures, and monitor team performance against these standards.
- Collaborate with other teams when shared accountability or decision-making is necessary.
- Share your expertise and promote teamwork within the department.
- Establish and maintain inter-organization contacts to facilitate the flow of information and cooperation.
- Ensure compliance with regulatory requirements, such as TJC, AORN, and state and federal standards.
- Delegate authority and responsibility based on staff competency levels.
- Analyze and make recommendations for future departmental planning, including expansion and service improvements.
- Manage and maintain a computerized O.R. Management/Information System to evaluate, document, and analyze O.R. activities.
- Control and monitor inventories, developing an inventory control program to control costs and assure standardization.
- Establish scheduling practices, coordinate block utilization, and allocate block time efficiently.
- Coordinate projects and service standards and serve as a liaison for operational issues.
- Coordinate perioperative care with Anesthesia, O.R. Staff, Physicians, PACU, OP, and Inpatient Nursing Staff, ensuring inter-departmental standards and procedures.
- Manage and participate in department/physician research projects.
- Establish assessment programs to ensure staff competency.
- Collaborate with the Nurse Executive Team on Patient Safety Initiatives within Surgical Services.
- Provide direct patient care when necessary to maintain clinical expertise and competency.
- Incorporate the Nursing Vision, Model, and Values into nursing practice.
- Oversee the hiring, training, supervision, and management of assigned staff.
- A minimum of three years of managerial or supervisory experience (charge nurse experience does not meet this requirement).
- A minimum of five years of related nursing experience.
- A bachelor's degree in nursing.
- A Registered Nurse License (Hawaii) is required at the time of hire.
- Basic Life Support certification from the American Heart Association.
- Knowledge of healthcare regulations, licensure requirements, and risk management principles.
- Demonstrated expertise in adaptability, change management, conflict resolution, decision-making, customer service, group process facilitation, influence, interpersonal relations, oral and written communication, problem-solving, quality management, systems thinking, team building, and organizational theory.
- Competitive compensation range: $136,900 - $177,100.
- Comprehensive benefits package.