Physician Assistant – Thoracic Surgery
***SIGN ON BONUS ELIGIBLE***
• Performs admission evaluation on all new patients to include: obtains basic medical information and history, reviews patients medical record, performs physical exam, transcribes history and medical findings into patient medical record, and reports deviations from normal findings to attending physician
• Provides patient and family with pre-operative education. Answers questions regarding surgery, recovery and risk factor modification; provides blood transfusion information. Performs cardiovascular surgery perioperative procedures; locates and displays chest x-rays and pertinent patient information. Reviews patient chart noting allergies, pertinent medical history, abnormal physical findings, catheterization and/or ECHO data and specific cardiovascular disease.
• Assists in performing cardiovascular surgical procedures: assists staff cardiovascular surgeons in opening chest and cannulating great vessels and heart. Performs invasive procedures: insertion, removal, monitoring of LABP, chest tube, arterial line placement, central line placement and Swan Ganz insertion, thoracentesis, femoral cutdown, uretheral catheterization, peripheral venous cannulation. Administers intravenous medications for treatment of arrhythmias.
• Performs post-operative procedures to include transcription of standard post-operative orders into patient medical records; assists physicians with evaluation and management of intravascular volume, pharmacological therapeutics, and nutritional status; reviews patients cardiac, respiratory, renal, neurological and gastrointestinal status during recovery; reviews vital signs, laboratory and x-ray studies;
assists with technical management of patients including introduction, maintenance and removal of intravascular catheters and percutaneous thoracostomy tubes. Performs patient discharge in conjunction with social worker, pharmacist, and physical therapist; dictates discharge and transfer summaries in a timely manner.
• Experience as a PA within surgical Subspecialties
• Licensed by State of California as a physician assistant.
• Current BLS certification.
• Must have a National Provider Identifier (NPI), or obtain an NPI, prior to employment start date.
• General Thoracic surgery, robotics, full scope of Thoracic Oncology services preferred
• Experience as a cardiovascular physician assistant.
• Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
Competitive compensation - $164,000 – $212,000 / year and comprehensive benefits package